Bowls of Stew Nab Robbers

     On Friday night, January 21, 1910, Mrs. Mary Clark was in her yard at 2215 Dickson Street, when she was approached by two men.  The men demanded her money and Mrs. Clark produced $7.  After getting their ill-gotten gain, the men fled without injuring her.  Mrs. Clark immediately contacted the St. Louis Police.

     St. Louis Police Officers Huddleston and Flynn were working their beat near Jefferson and Franklin Avenues, when they received the news of the robbery.  Within the hour, Huddleston and Flynn received word that two local youth, who were normally strapped for cash, had bought four bowls of oyster stew for $0.89.


Huddleston Murder Story from the Front Page of the Post-Dispatch

     Officers Huddleston and Flynn followed the men, who realized they were being tailed and tried to flee.  Huddleston and Flynn laid hands on one of the two men.  The suspect turned out to be 26-year-old Oliver Flanagan of 927 North 19th Street.  Huddleston and Flynn took him to the Dayton Street St. Louis Police Station, where Mrs. Clark identified him as one of the robbers.

     Mrs. Clark even identified a dime with a notch out of it as one of her coins.  Mrs. Clark said in such financial times, she became quite familiar with her money.

      St. Louis Police caught Flanagan’s accomplice, when a young boy came in to find out the charges against Flanagan.  The youngster also inquired about Flanagan’s bond.  Special Officers Hunt and Malone followed the young man to a candy story near Jefferson Avenue and Biddle Street.

     The young boy spoke to 26-year-old Leo McManus of 2614 Howard Street.  McManus fit the description of the other robber, so Hunt and Malone arrested him.  When they took him to the Dayton Street Station, Mrs. Clark identified him as the second robber.

     Mrs. Clark saw her robbers captured but did not get all of her money back.  The young men with full stomachs would spend a little time in jail before being released.  St. Louis Officers Huddleston and Flynn would go back to patrolling St. Louis streets.

     St. Louis Police Officer Arthur Huddleston would be killed in the rear of 2912 Washington Boulevard in the same beat area as he was walking in January 1910.  In November 1912, Officer Huddleston came across a domestic dispute and would be killed by paroled murderer, who was attempting to kill his common-law wife.  Arthur Huddleston made the ultimate sacrifice for the city he loved.

     You can leave a comment or ask a question about this or any post on my Facebook pageTwitter profile and Google+ page.

Sources: The St. Louis Post-Dispatch, January 23, 1910 edition, p. 3

Pin It