Caleb Enters Manhood
Caleb, you turn 18 this week meaning my baby has become a man. I don’t normally feel old but it does make me realize time is flying by. You continue to develop into an independent young man charting your own way. You will do well in life as long as you stay true to your principles. Challenges are temporary. Priniciples are forever.
As you turn 18, I want you to remember some important principles as you live out your life. Most of these lessons were taught to me by Big Pa, Gilbert P. Ellis.
- Tough times don’t last. Tough people do.
- Don’t feel sorry for yourself because no one else will.
- Walk out your path and don’t let anyone tell you how to live.
- You came into this world with your name and it’s all your leaving with. Make it count for something.
- Don’t go with the crowd. You don’t want to be another lemming looking for a cliff to jump off.
- Be true to yourself.
- God, Family and Community, in that order.
If you remembers these rules, you will go far
I look forward to waching you grow over the next several years. You will be finishing school, finding a career and starting a family. While every stage of his life will bring new challenges but you are up to them. You will be a strong man. I’m proud of you son.